Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Get Makeup-Optional Skin

I wanted to share what I recently read in my Health Savvy magazine from Virtua Hospital. My comments are in purple :)

As we age, we begin to notice things we don't love about our skin: discolorations, larger pores, fine lines. What can we do, beside getting rid of those nagging magnification mirrors?

"Changes in the skin tone and pore size are the results of the natural aging process and the environments," says Bennett Schwartz, MD, Virtua dermatologist.

Dr. Schwartz says that healthy skin results from drinking plenty of fluids, not smoking, eating healthy, and sleeping enough and avoiding excessive sun exposure."

"Women's hormonal changes can also have significant effects on skin, especially around menopause" says Dr. Schwartz. And, this new skin may mean a new skin care regimen. That's what I can say I love about Fluhme Skin 365! It's an all year round regimen. The only thing you switch or alternate is the ReNew R (Retinol) and ReNew G (Glycolic Acid). It is recommended to switch every 3 months for maximum results.

Tara Ammon is an aesthetician with vir tu, Virtua's spa located in the Health and Wellness Center in Washington Township. She says: "If you were always oily and suddenly you're dry, the skin care routine you've spent a lifetime perfecting doesn't apply, and the products you loved now don't work anymore." She says a consultation with an aesthetician can teach you which products are right for your skin type. How often do you get a facial? Believe it or not, I've only gotten about 4 facials in my entire life!! I always found that my pores are even more visible after a facial and my face tends to be so red. Even though I have to admit, the facial is soooo relaxing!

See your dermatologist, who will evaluate your skin appearance and growths. He or she will look for any precancerous or cancerous spots and give you an assessment of your skin condition. I find this to be so important!! I always thought you should only go to the dermatologist for acne or an abnormal rash...it's almost like you should make a dermatologist appointment a regular routine, especially if you're in the sun a lot, just to keep tabs on any abnormal or not-so-ordinary skin blemish.

Remember, there are many spa options in skin care or you could always have an in-home spa party and enjoy a fun night of skin pampering with the girls!

No comments:

Post a Comment